Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Resurrection

 At 7 am on Sunday I went to church.  I reserved a place ahead of time, I wore my mask. I sat socially distanced. I waved at the sign of peace.  I didn't stick around to talk afterward. But, I received Jesus in the Eucharist.  I had hungered for that so long. I went to a daily Mass and Reconciliation back in September, but after that the surge started and I didn't go again. I had not only myself to think of, but the grandchildren I care for and their parents who work from home.

When I was able to get the vaccine I was elated that the timing was perfect for me to be able to attend Mass for Easter.  I hit the two week mark on Sunday, Easter Sunday.  It seemed like a miracle, like a gift from God.  When I went into church I was also able to pick up a calendar.  They still kept them in the back for people like me.  It felt like an extra Easter surprise.  God takes such good care of me.

And how was Mass?  Oh, it was so much better than watching online on my tablet.  I am so thankful for the live streamed Masses this year. I really am thankful.  But, I was increasingly having problems staying focused, staying engaged in the Mass on the tablet.  I was falling into habits as if I was watching a television program instead of worshipping God.  Church is a multisensory experience.  Being there matters.

This pandemic year has made me think more of the tomb.  The isolation and quiet of the tomb is something I have considered.  I wasn't in a tomb this year, praise God.  But, the pandemic certainly provided moments of isolation and loneliness.  Shut away from other people alone. Today was glorious Easter, a time for resurrection, to appear  again.  A time to live.

No comments: