Monday, February 9, 2009

Monday Memories--Dollhouse






When I was 4 years old I received a dollhouse with furniture for Christmas. I can remember that magical moment. It was a metal dollhouse with painted scenery. My next brother promptly sat on one of the little plastic chairs and broke it all to smithereens--like Golilocks. I still remember being so mad. That's more than 50 years of mad. I have gotten over it, really, but I remember being so mad!

When I was recently up at Q cleaning my mom's basement she offered me the remnants of the dollhouse furniture and some little dolls. Some of it had been my sister's so it is maybe 5 years younger than mine, but a few pieces of the old furniture from over 50 years ago remained. It was played with by me and my sister and our little nieces who are now grown. It is pretty ragged.

Seeing that original kitchen and even one of the original characters really brought back memories. It seems that little girls still play with dollhouses but often the furniture isn't as loose and moveable as mine was. It is a reminder of a different time.

And SHH in a little plastic egg I found a treasure that never was mine--Barbie shoes. I think that they may have been the niece's. Gin or Es, if you want them back, just give send me an email. I will save them for you, unless I find my Barbie somewhere.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a few little toys from my early childhood, and I am amazed at how I get transported back in time... what was 35 years ago, feels like yesterday, when I hold something I treasured from then...

What a score, finding the barbie shoes. Even amazing is that they were not lost as usually happens with little bits like that :)

Mary said...

I have only scratched the surface of the treasures in the little toy box.

abroadermark said...

Whoa!! There were dollhouses way back then?!! :D

Mary said...

Yes, and Barbies. (Although the shoes belonged to the nieces who are in their 20s, I'm sure.)
I didn't really get a good enough picture of the scary nurse figure that was part of the dollhouse. You're lucky she didn't go in the lovely prize package I sent you, she would have given everyone nightmares.