Thursday, September 24, 2020

Who Was That Unmasked Man?

 I was able to attend a daily Mass on a rare day off last week.  I even made it to Confession.  So, I feel more normal in my faith life.  Still, I hesitate on attending the weekend liturgies.  The transmission rate in my county is up there.  There isn't a mask mandate in my county and so people are passing the virus willy nilly, in my opinion.

I do attend Mass online.  It isn't the same, but I have gotten used to it.  I choose to attend my own parish.  I know of people who find Masses all over the world for variety.  I need familiarity more than novelty during this pandemic. 

My most commonly attended Sunday Mass is 7:30 am.  Our priest has made many homilies about how wearing masks is pro-life and respectful of others.  He and most of our deacons are in the ages of risk. I feel concern for him.  For the most part as I view Sunday liturgy I feel safe and as though I could be there.  I think about going some week.  The 7:30 Mass is mostly old people so I wouldn't have to be concerned that unmasked children would be spreading the virus.

This past week I saw something that shocked me.  A man who appeared to me to be somewhere in his 20s or 30s, not a teenager and not old, was not wearing a mask.  He was coming back from communion and no mask was in evidence, not hanging from his ear or around his neck or in his hand. No Mask! There is only one entrance to the church during the pandemic and there are masks available at the entrance.  This man chose not to wear a mask, at 7:30 Mass, despite all the signs and free masks. Why?

At first I thought he must be the devil himself.  Who would come to mask and defy all requests?  What right had he to come and expose everyone there to whatever germs he might carry? I was shocked, horrified and glad that I was watching from home.

After I calmed down, I reflected that the church is a hospital for sinners, not a museum of saints.  This man made a mistake.  I will pray for him. I will pray for the people at church with him that this does not become a super-spreader event.  Chances are it won't.  But, what would anyone want to take that risk?  And why would they defy the requests of the priest to come to Mass and receive communion but have no compassion for people like me.

No comments: