Friday, September 25, 2020

Sweat Shop

 I recently re-acquired a sewing machine.  My daughter in law decided that she didn't want my old Singer Touch and Sew machine and cabinet.  I don't blame her.  It had seen better days.  It was used when I got it over 40 years ago.  It weighs a ton.  I was giving it away during one of my recent moves and she thought she might want to learn to sew, but I am not even sure this machine worked at the time.  I am pretty sure that it will need some adjustments to work now.  I am planning to play with it and see what I can do.  If I can't fix it, and even if I can, I will probably have to think of rehoming it.

As I come in my front door I am greeted by my grandmother's old treadle sewing machine.  I have somehow lost the bobbin which is fairly crucial to making it work.  I think I might be able to find one on eBay. I might have to look for one.  It would be fun to play with that machine.  I know that it still worked in the 1970s for my grandmother.  I am not sure if my sister in law who took it after that ever got it working.  They are both dancing or maybe sewing in heaven so I can't ask them.

I got a Brother machine sometime in the late 1990s.  I really liked it, still do. It had some issues a couple of years ago and so I bought another Brother that was more quilt friendly.  I got the original one fixed and it works fine. So, now I have 2 Brother sewing machines.  I use both of them depending on what I am doing. I have them both set up in my sewing/guest room.

If you were counting you see that I have 4 sewing machines in my house. Two are rather period pieces and don't currently work.  But, I have designs on seeing if I can bring them back to life. If I get them all going I could probably start a factory sewing something. Then I would have a sweat shop. Or not.

No comments: