Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Who Do You Look Like?

1 Cor 15:35-49 Just as we have borne the image of the earthly one, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly one.  (a part of the reading from last Sunday's liturgy)

I don't know about you, but I know that all my life I have heard comparisons as to who I looked like.  I mostly favor my dad's side of the family, I think, and have been told.  But, occasionally someone will tell me that I look just like my mother. I can see both my parents in my appearance and if my interests and actions.  While I may be a completely unique and original person, I wasn't formed out of nothing. I bear the image of the earthly ones who came before me.

My brother recently made a comment that my little granddaughter looks like me. I don't see the resemblance. She looks like her mother's side of the family to me. My daughter in law is not in favor of noting resemblances to others in her children. So, she very much liked it when I commented that this little "E" baby looks like herself.  Even though I struggle to find any resemblance to me these days, I am sure that as she grows I will find things about her that I have in common.  Perhaps she will like to quilt or read.

My grandson "A" does show some resemblance to my side of the family.  His face in profile looks so like a profile picture of me.  Something about the eyes and eyebrows looks like my son and like me.  But, this 2 year old is really into counting and numbers.  I wouldn't say that I was ever like that.  Perhaps he will like to travel or maybe pray.  Perhaps more things in common will be revealed as time goes by.

We all bear the image of our earthly origins.  It is reassuring to know that we all bear the image of our heavenly origins as well.  We bear the likeness to Christ.

No comments: