Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Mascots

The more I know, the more I have to learn.  Way back when they were starting to holler about changing the names of team mascots I could not imagine why it was such a big deal.  I am not much of a sports fan.  I thought I really didn't care about such things.  Why did it matter so much to some people?

As the years went by I began to see that some names are just offensive and should be changed.  Still, I thought if you don't like the name and they won't change it, don't support the team.  Lots of things in life aren't just the way I would like them to be.

But, recently I guess I am learning more things.  I am getting a little more "woke."  I had the thought, if one of the local teams was Angry White Women, or Old Fat Woman, or just Old Woman, would I not be offended every time I heard the team mentioned, even though it wouldn't be directly aimed at me?  Would I not be irritated seeing a mascot that portrayed the group I belong to demographically?  Would it not make me mad to hear that Old Fat Women were having a bad season?  Even though it wouldn't be about me, it would be aggravating. The stereotypes would make me mad.

So, I think it might be past time to rename the offensive team names. I know that political correctness can be annoying and can seem to go too far sometimes.  But, why have a name that promotes stereotypes and divisiveness?  Don't we have enough of that going on already?

No comments: