Friday, October 29, 2021

Who Am I?

 The DNA service that I have an account with recently "updated" the regions from which the DNA comes.  I lost all my German and suddenly became about one third Swedish and Danish.  I assume they mean Vikings. Because I have no known Swedish or Danish ancestry and I know from where most of my ancestors came.  And they weren't from the Norse regions.  I can trace everybody back to at least the mid 1800s.

So, my DNA shows some inexplicable results.  I am 12% from Wales.  Who?  Who were these Welsh people who gave me so much DNA?  Who were these Danes or Swedes? I can't figure it out.  The DNA didn't help me to find my ancestors at all.

I presume that there will be another update one of these days.  I bet I will lose some of that Viking ancestry. I am not happy about the results.  It doesn't matter that I am Danish or Swedish, but I don't think I am.  I am me and the DNA results don't matter to me at all.  It was just one piece of the puzzle to look at where I came from. And telling me something I am not is not helping.  At this point I do not recommend spitting into the vial and doing DNA tests because to me it hasn't helped uncover anything. (Maybe my angry attitude is the Viking in me.) 

No comments: