Thursday, September 23, 2021

Saving the Best for Last

 I have recently reflected on my lack of rebellion as a teenager.  I never smoked or used drugs.  I didn't speed or bother other people.  I never got a tattoo or dyed my hair green.  I wore conventional clothing and followed the rules. I was afraid to be naughty.  I thought that I had to try to be perfect.

I continued that way through my young adulthood and into my marriage.  I tried to be the perfect employee, the perfect wife.  But, I wasn't.  It was made clear to me that no matter how hard I tried I was not perfect and trying was not good enough.  I didn't rebel from that judgement until I finally did. And now I am not married and no longer employed.  Freedom!

I have recently bemoaned my lack of experimentation in my youth.  I have thought about dying my hair green, but it might scare the grandchildren and I don't think I would really like it either. I don't want a tattoo or anything pierces besides my ears.  But, I have looked for a walk on the wild side.  I intend to buy a lottery ticket or two or six.  Beyond that I can't really think of any wild experiments or chances to take.

But, I will say that this part of my life, this freedom from work and criticism is the best.  This part of my life, this last part is the best part.  I am having the time of my life.

No comments: