Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Gave Me My Name

 From the beginning of the 49th chapter of Isaiah--"The Lord called me from birth, from my mother's womb he gave me my name."

I have written about my name before.  "Mary" is such an ubiquitous Catholic girl name.  I am told my mom wanted to name me "Cynthia" to be known as "Cindy" after her grandmother who she was afraid of and didn't like much. I guess it wasn't to honor her, she was dead before I came along anyway, so it wasn't to flatter her.  Mom liked the name, she said.  Dad insisted that if I had a speech impediment that with my first and last name starting with the same sound, it would be difficult for me.  I suspect he didn't care for Cynthia.  So, I was named for both my grandmas.  I was given their names.

Mary as a Catholic child leads to confusion in prayers and identity.  Going through school there were always 4 or 5 Marys in my classes.  I was once confused about what happened to all of those Marys because it seems that I don't run into as many people who share my name today.  I have discovered that many of the Marys of my youth are now going by their middle names or nicknames.

I do feel that the Lord called me and gave me my name. Over and over again I have felt His hand in my life.  I sometimes struggle, but He always manages to call me back, to get through to me.  He calls me by my name.

No comments: