Friday, April 9, 2021

Springtime Yard

 For reasons that I do not fully understand, the rabbits decided not to eat my daffodils this year. Or, rather, they decided to bite only one of them.  I can't say the same for the tulips, but it does seem that some of them may be allowed to bloom.  They have been eating tulip parts, leaves and the very tips of the flowers.  The hyacinths and the grape hyacinths have been permitted to bloom. I wish I could say that the blackberry bush has fared as well. I have a battle going on with the rabbits.

But, this year my yard is my delight.  I am deciding on a tree for the front yard to replace the ash tree I had cut down last year.  The lawn is terrible though.  So, I decided to try to see if I could improve it on my own.  I got some fertilizer and a little bit of seed.  I spread it as evenly as I could.  I didn't feel like I totally knew what I was doing.  It wasn't supposed to rain for a couple of days and I was supposed to water it, but I didn't.

One thing I have discovered is, I enjoy learning new things. I enjoy trying things even if I don't totally know what I am doing.  I will learn something from the experience.  I enjoy the freedom to make mistakes.  I enjoy not having someone looking over my shoulder criticizing and telling me all the things that could go wrong.  I am learning to care for my lawn.  If I have somehow killed all the grass, I can pay someone to replant it.  But, I doubt that I have done that. 

This year I love my house and lawn in the spring.  There are hopeful sprouts coming up.  There are weeds already appearing.  But, this year I hope to keep ahead of the weeds.  And even if I don't, I had a beautiful springtime yard.

No comments: