Thursday, April 8, 2021

Baby Cakes

 A year ago today my state was in lock down from the pandemic.  Everyone was supposed to stay home.  Only essential workers, mainly hospital workers were supposed to leave their houses.  But, a few others, like daycare workers could go to work. I remember that the violets were blooming on my son's front lawn. I didn't stay home.  I was caring for my grandson a year ago today while his sister was being born.

I took him to my house.  There was no traffic on the road.  It felt eerie.  The whole world stopped, it seemed.  My son was able to attend the birth but no one else was allowed to visit.  My grandson and I played at my house until the afternoon and then went back to his house.  I did the bedtime rituals as best I could.  I fell asleep on the couch after I put my grandson to bed.  Much later I got a text that Baby Cakes had arrived.

In the wee small hours of the next day my son came home and I drove home. I came back the next day and the next to car for my grandson until his mom and sister came home from the hospital.  It was a strange time to be born in the middle a lockdown at the beginning of a pandemic.  And as this first birthday happens, we aren't out of the woods yet.  But, at least this one joyful thing happened in the pandemic.  My granddaughter arrived, safe and healthy.

No comments: