Friday, January 22, 2021

Quick Takes--Gifts from the Pandemic

 I am tired of the pandemic.  On bad days it makes me depressed and sad.  I lost another friend to COVID on Monday.  She was 5 years older than I am. The pandemic makes me fearful.  I am lonely and I really really miss being in church.  But, even in the midst of all the bad stuff, there is some positive, even if it is just skills I have acquired to live through the pandemic.  The things I have learned are gifts.  Some of them are these---

1. I make a complete grocery list and never go to the grocery store without one.  I start at least a day ahead of the planned shopping trip which is often as early as I can go on Saturday. I never go back to the store if I forget something until the next week.  I have learned not to forget things.

2. I have learned that I used to use shopping as entertainment and a way to forget that I was lonely.  I bought a lot of fabric that I really had no plan for just to have something to do.  Some of it came in handy to make masks.  I hope to find other things besides shopping to occupy my time in that illusive future when I no longer fear the virus.

3. I suddenly treasure the idea of seeing family and friends with greater intensity than I used to have.  I put off visits to friends in the past, but I think in that future time I will visit my friends and family like crazy. I want to see them.  I want to hear how they did through all of this.

4. I might make some changes to my house and get a dog.  A dog would keep me walking and active.  I have always loved dogs and wanted one in my life.  Sometimes I am lazy and selfish and think that having a dog is too much trouble, but the pandemic has taught me that too much trouble is okay sometimes.

5. I like not getting sick.  I haven't had a cold or flu since the pandemic started.  I may continue wearing masks, at least when traveling or going to public events.  I wonder if it will be allowed.

6. I have only very rarely signed petitions or sent letters to my representatives.  I haven't changed that practice during the pandemic, but I am thinking that I may need to send a few letters to a few people.  If I want to see changes, I might need to contribute my thoughts.

7, I have taken up walking during the pandemic. I hope to continue that as long as I am able to put one foot in front of another.  I have come to recognize that throughout my life, walking has been the sport I have engaged in.  I am only competitive with myself, but I really enjoy walking. It took a pandemic to make me aware of how much I really enjoy walking outside in the sunshine, the rain and the snow.

I will quit with 7 although I know that there are more.  I hope, hope, hope that I will be vaccinated and able to attend Mass by Easter.  I always enjoyed going to church, daily Mass, Sunday Mass, Bible study,  I like church.  So, I didn't learn that in the pandemic, but of all the reasons I want the pandemic over, going to Mass is my biggest hope.



No comments: