Thursday, December 24, 2020

The Eve

I wasn't in The Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem on Christmas Eve. I went to the Holy Land in January the year I was able to go there.  But, it was still the Christmas season when I was there.  There was a decorated tree up in the courtyard. Our group went first to the shepherd's cave and celebrated Mass that morning we went to Bethlehem. It felt a little like Christmas morning. It felt like something I had never experienced.

After the shepherd's cave, we went to the Church of the Nativity.  When we got there, there was a procession going on in the grotto, the stable, and we had to wait on the steps.  I was so blessed because I was one of the first in the group and I saw the procession.  I can't even describe it. Incense and prayerful and waiting my turn to see the spot where Christ was born.

There is a star on the floor on the spot where they say Jesus was born.  I was able to touch the star. Then quickly over to the manger.  Someone asked whether this was really the spot.  I know in my heart that it doesn't matter.  My heart was burning within me. Where didn't matter so much as the fact, Jesus was born. Visiting Bethlehem made it more real to me, the most real.

Tonight, Christmas Eve I will rejoice.  This is a moment to remember that in an instant, history changed, the world changed for the better.  It has never been the same.  He came to save me.  He can to save us.

No comments: