Friday, July 31, 2020

School

We are headed  into that time of summer I always hated.  The back to school sales would start about now.  I would scream inside my head, STOP, STOP, there is still some summer left.  But time is relentless.  I have been retired a few years now and the back to school sales don't effect me like they used to do.

But this year, this year, I can't even imagine how I would feel if I was going back to teach school.  Maybe most of the kids are safe, most.  But, teachers, counselors, lunch and bus people, none of them will be safe.  Some of them are getting older.  Some have conditions.  Some are type A blood.  And my former school district allowed us to take off 2 sick days a month or 5 in a semester without a doctor's note.  I remember the doctor looking strangely at me when I told him I needed a note for shingles.  How does one get a note for quarantine if someone in the house has the disease?

I don't have to worry about that anymore.  I understand that kids need to be in school.  But, I also don't think that teaching is a job worth dying for.  We need King Solomon who was so wise that no one before him or since him had been so wise.

No comments: