Thursday, June 25, 2020

Traffic Report

On Friday my traffic app showed slowdowns and stoppages on the map.  It was the first time I saw those in months.  Traffic has begun to pick up.  I drive across the bridge to my son's house three days a week.  As a childcare provider I am an essential worker.  I continued to travel to work even during the state lock down.

I remember the first day of the lock down.  It was a foggy morning.  There was almost no traffic on the road.  The 8 lane highway had maybe 5 cars anywhere in sight.  It felt eerie.  That was the day of the lowest traffic.  Gradually over the weeks and months the traffic picked up little by little.  It has not returned to the pre-pandemic levels.  People work from home.  People have lost jobs.  It is summer and the kids aren't in school which always cuts the traffic a bit.

I can't lie, I have enjoyed the lack of traffic.  The reason for it is tragic.  The reason for it all is scary.  But, lack of traffic itself is a relief.  The world slowed down for a while.  But, whether or not we are done with this virus or it is done with us, the world is picking back up again.  The traffic is returning.  The world is speeding up.  We are figuring out our new normal.

No comments: