Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Birthday of John the Baptist

If I had to do it all over again I would have named my son John.  It is my father's name and my son was the only grandchild he ever met.  My son's birthday is today, but back in those days I was not familiar enough with the liturgical calendar to know that it was the Nativity of John the Baptist.  And there are no do overs.

But, I have long been aware that John the Baptist's birthday is today.  I usually try to go to Mass on this day to pray for my son.  These days I almost always attend the online Mass. It is so convenient.  I try not to miss receiving Christ and enjoy the fact that I can attend more Masses than I used to.

My son has grown up to be a good man with a nice family and a good job.  I like him as a person.  I like him as a son.  I am proud of him.  I treasure my memories of raising him in my heart, like Mary did.  Being his mother was my best thing, the best part of my life.

Happy birthday, Son.  I love you more than you could ever know.

No comments: