Wednesday, January 1, 2020

And I Wish You a Happy New Year

I have had my ups and downs this Advent.  I fell off the altar after reconciliation and bruised my knee, but otherwise I was fine, if embarrassed.  I had 3 parties in one week early in Advent.  I hosted my family at my house the Sunday before Christmas. My grand-baby is still a joy. I have been busier than I would like to be.  I get depressed this time of year.  It is the anniversary of many sad events in my life. 

But, New Year's Eve is the anniversary of my father's birth. It is 100 years since he was born in his grandmother's house in Quincy, IL. I think having a loving father has really helped me to be able to relate to God as father. By New Year's Day I find that the anxiety and depression I feel in December starts to lift.  And the light is coming back.  The light.

I have a busy weekend ahead.  I wish that my Christmas tree would take itself down.  I suppose I can wait a few weeks to the Baptism of the Lord which is mid-January.  But, I would like it down.  I am done with Christmas.  I think next year I will try to have a better plan than to be busy busy busy.

For 2 years I have had a resolution to buy a lottery ticket, and I haven't bought one yet.  So, this year I will buy 3 lottery tickets.  I certainly don't expect to win, but it feels like a wild and crazy thing to do.  I have a very low bar for wild and crazy.

I need to continue to tidy up and get rid of stuff.  My mom at 98 has largely forgotten her stuff and it is time to let it go from my basement.  I need to organize my stuff and get rid of some of that. So that is a resolution.  Pare down the stuff in my life and organize the rest of it.

I want to write more and do things with friends more and quilt and sew more.  I want to travel and research genealogy and get some work done at my house.  I have several plumbing jobs, at least one entry door that needs to be replaced, and a fireplace that needs converting.  I intend to do some of those things.

I started daily writing a prayer relating to the Mass readings a few months ago.  I intend to continue that.  It has enhanced my life with God.  I have again uncovered my lack of trust in God's mercy.  Abuse survivors often have problems with that.  But the great thing is that God uncovers my problem, I get upset and then I work to get to the place God is calling me.

My son and daughter-in-law are expecting a baby girl around Easter.  I call her Bunny until she has a real name. This baby is exciting and scary at the same time.  I haven't raised a girl, I haven't changed a baby girl diaper in decades and then not many of those in my whole life.  Girls cry more easily if my memories of teaching serve me, but maybe she will be in school before she turns that way.

The sun is going down and I need to finish up here. I hope if you are reading this that you had a happy Christmas and will have a blessed new year. 

No comments: