Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Sailing Into Juneau, Alaska

Juneau, the capital of Alaska, can not be reached by roadway.  You fly or you sail to get to Juneau.  There is a 30 something roadway that goes through the city and concludes at mountain and sea at both ends.   We sailed into Juneau in the afternoon.
Gulls on the beach?  Part of the Juneau highway system.
There were boats and houses along the passage up to Juneau.
And waterfalls. This one is creating quite a gorge.  I wonder if it will be the Grand Canyon someday.
This is how it looked from a distance. 
Juneau is in a coastal rain forest and rains most of the time, so I was told.  But, not on the day I was there.  It was clear sailing all the way without a cloud in sight.

The bare top of the mountain is above the tree line, too cold up there for trees.
I imagine that most of the year there is snow up there on top of the mountain, but by September it had vanished, melted, running down the mountain.
The Pearl rounded a bend and there was a cruise ship docked.  We were reaching Juneau.
Juneau clutches the little piece of land between the mountains and the sea.
Mountains and the sea, that is Juneau.
I was trying to get a picture of the big bird which is a white speck in the picture.  A very big bird.
Still heading into Juneau.
There is a cable car thing going up the side of one of the mountains.
And there is little Juneau.  A sunny day.
They keep the frontage to the dock looking old school, I am guessing.
The Pearl was not the only ship docked that day.

The dock for the cruise ship was a distance from the main part of the city that encompasses the capital.
The dock was fancy, welcoming all of the cruisers and our money.
This parking garage was the public library.  If I had the time, I would have checked it out.  If I ever go to Juneau again, I will check it out.
But I had a shore tour booked.  I got off the ship and onto a bus that took us through town. I will continue the rest later.  I guess the animal rights people don't know about this place. 

No comments: