Saturday, December 25, 2021

It's Christmas!

 I remember being very young and anticipating Christmas for the presents I would get to open. Imagining the wonderful surprises that waited for me under the tree was the main part of Christmas for me when I was very young.

When I was a bit older and able to give presents, imagining the joy I would bring from my carefully selected gifts was the main part of Christmas. Christmas shopping was a big thing, the main part of Christmas.

The celebration in church, the spiritual meaning of Christmas was always there in the background.  I belonged to a family that believed. I belonged to a Christian family.  We always had a manger scene and went to church. But, when I was young, the church part wasn't the joy.

But gradually, slowly, creeping into my soul, the meaning of the coming of the Savior at Christmas became the main thing.  I understood that the rest of the things were trappings.  Christmas became a spiritual journey for me.

Some years, I must confess the journey is more profound and some years I scurry around and wish I had more time to consider the spiritual meaning of the season.  I am forgiving myself for my spiritual thin ice and gulping in with joy the times I can touch the sacredness.

This year I did Advent with greater intention.  I found meaning and joy in the waiting.  I think that helped me to have a better attitude and a better Christmas this year. 

Rejoice, rejoice! It is Christmas!

No comments: