Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Prepare

I laugh when I hear that people are bored during this pandemic lock in.  I could never be bored.  Perhaps part of the reason is that my mother always said--Only boring people are bored.  Being bored was a bad thing.  In many ways I feel that I have prepared for not to be bored during this pandemic my whole life.  I have enough projects to keep me busy through at least 3 more pandemics (although doubtful that I could survive them).

I have been working on some quilts.  I largely have given up the baby quilts I used to make.  My daughter-in-law has convinced me that they are useless.  Babies don't need blankets.  Even so, I have given one to each of my grand babies.  My spiritual director convinced me to try a quilt for myself.  I did.  It took a couple of years to complete, but I love it, love sleeping under it.  So, now I do big quilts, much slower than I used to make those little quilts.  I am making twin bed quilts for each of my grandchildren. I suppose we will call them the pandemic quilts.  I have another couple of full sized quilts started and ideas and plans for some more.  I have a wall hanging thing to do from Alaska.  I have an idea for a bird quilt that I would like to do.  I have tons of quilt ideas.  I have plenty of stored up material if nothing was open, but of course, things are.

Then there are other projects, some sewing, some home repair and improvement, and some fun.  I am recovering the sofa that I inherited that is in my living room.  It has been with me my whole life, so I want to do something to try to keep it now.  I need to finish curtains for my bedroom and living room I have the material sitting in the closet in the sewing room. I want to refinish the dining room table. I started sanding it and quit before Thanksgiving.  I need to paint the porch ceiling.  There are more and more things that I have the materials and the plans for, but not the time to do.

On the boring days when I don't see my grandson, I try to get started on at least one of my projects.  It is easy to fall into depression and turn on the television and sit on my sitter.  But, the days when I get busy and work on these things, I feel alive and useful and I sleep better.  I have enough projects to keep me busy.  I am not bored. I cam to this pandemic prepared.

No comments: