Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Throwing In the Towel

 I have the sofa that my parents had built before I was born.  It is hard rock maple which is no longer available as far as I know. Since I will soon be 68, this heavy old sofa is an antique.  It was in style in the 1950s. I don't dislike it.  It fact I like it.  I have a picture of me dressed as Annie Oakley jumping on this sofa.  I sort of remember it.  This sofa has seen my whole life.  After my mom moved out of her house, my son took it for a while.  He likes the wood.   

The sofa has a matching chair.  My son gave me back the sofa last year, but he kept the chair. The cushions have been recovered once.  They need recovering again and plumping up.  They maybe need replacing.  I looked around for upholsterers and cushion replacers. I haven't really found anyone that gives me confidence.  It will be very expensive to do this.  Is it worth it?

I am leaning toward putting this sofa in my unfinished basement and getting something nice for my living room.  I would like something dark brown, like leather or maybe leather.  I would like not to be second hand rose.  I like preserving and reusing and saving the earth.  But, I like not living in a rag pile of old things, especially old things that need fixing or replacing.

So, I am deciding to perhaps throw in the towel and get a new sofa.  It would save the earth if we would all save the old stuff and quit throwing away so much. But, maybe I am not the crazy old lady who can swim against the tide.

No comments: