Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Rats With Tail Feathers

 I had my gutters replaced a year ago.  It was the worst mistake I made during the pandemic for a number of reasons.  One, I found out later that the hail storm we had in the early spring was getting people to put on new roofs.  I didn't want to do that, have roofers mess up my lovely new gutters. Two, the workmen who did the gutters trampled the garden I had planted.  They stepped on the tomato plant, destroyed the beans and crushed the blackberry bush. Three, there were nails and metal pieces left around the yard that I had to pick up.

But, four, four is the worst thing.  I have discovered that the noise I thought might be birds pecking the gutters was in actuality squirrels making a home in my attic.  They are now having babies up there.  I don't remember authorizing this.  During a pandemic I understand that it hard to evict.  But, I am going to try. Frustrating.

I watched the YouTube videos.  I have some sticky traps which annoys the squirrels rather than catches them.  I would like very much to annoy them.  I have a vaulted ceiling that precludes going into the attic to catch them.  I have ordered some repellant. But, even if I get them to move out, I will need the hole that they have made in my eaves sealed.  So, I will be calling someone about this. Sigh.

The thing I like about squirrels is this--they make good hawk food.  I like hawks.  If I could find a way to attract hawks and entice the squirrels out it would be the perfect solution.  But, probably I will have to call pest control. Is it any wonder that I call squirrels rats with tail feathers? 

No comments: