Friday, March 5, 2021

Specific

 I was reflecting the other day that although I long to travel, I probably will have trouble sleeping on the road in the future.  And by on the road, I mean at someone's house or a hotel.  I have too many "sleeping aides" to bring them all with me.

I don't take any sleeping medication.  At one time, long ago, I used to take Unisom.  I loved it.  I got the best sleep ever,  Until I didn't.  It stopped working for me.  I suppose that was bound to happen.  But, I also had some difficulty sleeping at all when I first stopped taking it.  So, I avoid medication to help me sleep.

I have very limited caffeine consumption.  I drink tea rather than coffee and I try to stick with 2 cups a day, no later than 2pm.  But, caffeine consumption is easy to monitor and not hard to "pack."  But, it is something I am mindful of to aide my sleep.

I sleep with several pillows.  Many years ago I had a back injury and the pillows helped me to brace the parts that hurt in order to sleep.  I have just continued with the pillows.  I can't sleep if I don't have at least two pillows.

I got a noise machine a couple of years ago.  I am a light sleeper.  Noise wakes me easily.  My daughter in law sleeps with a sound machine.  I decided to try it.  It really helps keep me sleeping.  I don't listen to the sounds in the neighborhood at night anymore.  The sound machine made the biggest difference the few times I have slept in hotels the last few years.

I curtained my windows with darker blinds and drapes this year and it has helped.  I am not a night light person.  For me, the darker the better. Full moon nights used to be times when I didn't get enough sleep.

I got a humidifier this winter.  The humidifier on my furnace started leaking all over the place right after it was turned on.  I was able to turn it off.  I made the decision that with the pandemic I really didn't want someone coming to my house to fix or replace that device.  I have found that I really like a humidifier in my bedroom at night.  I think it may have helped with my allergies to my parakeets who are in a different room.

And lastly, I got a weighted blanket.  It helps.  It really does help me to fall asleep.  It stops the tossing and turning.

So, there it is.  I do a lot of things to help me sleep.  A lot.  And while I don't sleep great despite all of that, I do sleep better.  I will take what I have.  But, if you hear of another sleep aide, don't tell me.  I really don't think I could do one more thing before I get in bed and fall asleep.

No comments: