Thursday, March 4, 2021

Responsibility

 I am rather sensitive to the feelings of others.  I get my own feeling hurt rather easily and I am aware of things that are said that might upset or hurt other people.  This is especially true in a group.  It is even more troublesome in Zoom meetings.

Recently at Zoom meetings I heard things that I felt might upset someone in each group. I didn't say the things and I wasn't responsible.  They weren't bad things really.  They were things that people in the group were positive about and I was aware that one member of the group was not.  In a real in person meeting I might have made an attempt to privately affirm the person that I felt might have been hurt.  But, in Zoom, calling the person out might embarrass them and cause further hurt.

In both cases I considered texting or emailing the people to tell them that I was with them.  I just couldn't really think of the right words.  It isn't that I thought the group was wrong or thoughtless.  There was just a different opinion.  One of the people had an opinion I also disagreed with, but I didn't want her to be hurt by the opinions of the group.

And that is my problem, people pleasing.  I want everybody to be happy and I want to make them be happy.  But, I have asked myself--What is my responsibility?  I have decided to let it go.  It is not my job to make everyone happy.  I am not the defender of all opinions that differ from my own. I need to let the people sort out their own feelings.  I will pray for them and renew an effort to be kind and thoughtful of all people.  But, I can't be someone else's controller.  They have their own opportunities to handle a situation as they choose. It is not my responsibility.

No comments: