Monday, March 8, 2021

Blustery Day

 My house is exposed to the west.  Most of the time this just means that I get really nice views of the sunsets.  In summer the house heats up at the end of the day.  But, in winter when I winds blow, it gets cold.  

I try to figure out what it do about the cold winds that seem to blow through my house.  My windows are not old, I think they might be replacements or an upgrade from builder grade when the house was built. The windows tilt in for cleaning.  I am not sure that there are better ones.  I have tried to curtain most of the windows, but there are a few I still need to work on.  Curtains help.

The back door to the deck/ balcony needs to be replaced.  I end up taping it every winter.  I am not sure that it helps, but it makes me feel like I have done something.  There is too much glass and too little insulation in that door.

I have a fireplace that I don't use.  It is wood burning and I don't really want to mess with it.  The building inspector said that I needed to clean the flue when I bought the house, and I haven't done that yet.  I don't want to deal with logs and ashes.  I would like to have the fireplace changed to electric.  I know gas would be more desirable but I think for ecology and price and simplicity, an electric fireplace would serve me better.  I hesitate because I really don't want to do something to take away value from my house.  Most people prefer a real fire of some sort.

So, on a blustery winter day, I shiver a bit or layer up.  I consider my options and wait for spring.  So far waiting for spring has been the winner. 


No comments: