Saturday, January 9, 2021

Boring Post for Saturday--Project

My grandson likes to do projects.  He says that--Do a project.  I guess that I am the project manager.  Most of our projects involve some art or learning activity.  I went through all the alphabet letters with him in 2020. We painted and colored and glued.

But there are other projects which AJ leads.  Projects in his mind.  One of them is a project to dig up my backyard and move the dirt to a different location.  I have a trowel, or shovel as he calls it that he claims as his own.  We go into the backyard when he is at my house and I let him.  He has a place under the deck where the ground in loose. He takes a shovel full of dirt and drops it out in the yard.  I try to discourage this, but I haven't outright forbidden it yet. I find it hard to reason with a two year old.

When he was over last week I couldn't get him to leave the project.  I finally had to take the trowel and walk back to the garage with it.  He cried and pulled on me the whole way.  I can't say that this is the same thing I would have done if I were the parent, but grandparents have different rules.  We are more patient. 

I am trying to think of a better project for the backyard and the trowel.  It isn't the gardening season, really it isn't a good season to dig at all.  But, the boy likes what he likes.  I will figure out a project for us. 

No comments: