Wednesday, December 2, 2020

The Gift of Being

 I have been reminded various times in my life that I am a human being, not a human doing. But, I was trained up to be productive, to accomplish something.  I was trained that the value of the day was having something to show for it.  Be busy or look busy.  No loafing.  No being lazy.

So, I struggle with letting go and spending time doing enjoyable things that produce nothing.  Quilts produce something, so they are acceptable.  But puzzles?  I really like to do puzzles.  They are a fun group thing for a small group, but they are also fun alone.  Usually I quilt when I am taking a rest or spending time.

This past weekend I reminded myself that I am a being, not doing and I hauled out one the many puzzles I collected.  My sister has passed a bunch to me and they mostly sit waiting for a time I am not sure ever will come.  But, this weekend I pulled out one of those puzzles and worked it.  It was an antique typewriter shape and not an easy puzzle.  It was thoroughly enjoyable working that puzzle. It was a gift.

No comments: