Monday, July 13, 2020

Yellowphant

I sleep with a big IKEA stuffed elephant.  It is as big as a pillow.  It is soft.  I love to encounter elephant parts during the night.  I think if the Blind Men and the Elephant.  The elephant is like a wall, a snake, a tree, a spear, a rope, a fan.  When I touch one of those parts I smile.  People see what they see.  What they see might not be the same thing I see.  But, that doesn't make them wrong.  There are different parts, different sides to all things.

Perhaps at my age sleeping with a stuffed animal is rather juvenile.  But, I am retired and I live alone.  I can be eccentric.  The opinions of other people are none of my business.  What might look crazy or off the wall to some people, might be emotional support and self care to others.

I would encourage people to try some emotional support these days.  If a stuffed animal is comforting, go with it.  If a cup of hot chocolate or milk and animal crackers is your comfort, try it. Pandemic and social unrest and all the problems we face these days entitle us to a little comfort.

No comments: