Monday, June 8, 2020

Row, Row, Row Your Boat

The children's song--Row, Row, Row Your Boat continues--gently down the stream, merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a dream.  I was thinking about struggles I have had.  I am trying to learn to let go and not obsess or worry about things.  First thing in the morning I am usually really good at letting go and letting God.  In the middle of the day I ask myself--how important is it? In the evening I remind myself to think about it tomorrow.  But, at night, the worries crawl out of the corner or from under the bed.

I don't have a lot of worries.  There are things that bother me though. I was recently cheated over some tickets I bought to a show that was cancelled, no refund, no show, theoretical credit toward some future show.  I tried, but I wasn't able to do anything about it.  I am out of luck.  All day I am fine.  But, at night I start to worry and get angry and upset.  I pray.  It helps some, but I wish I could say that prayer helped me to put the upset away.  It does only to some extent.  I don't know what to do with the feelings I have about being cheated, robbed, and duped.

This afternoon I was trying to think about some song or prayer that I could focus on when the upset starts.  The rosary is good, but I haven't always been able to use that as a go to when I am upset.  I can pray a whole rosary and be upset when I finish.  The little song Row, Row, Row Your Boat came to me as a possibility.  It has a nice philosophy.  Don't give up and do nothing, I still need to row the boat, but gently down the stream, not against the current.  And if I row my boat, things might just be merry and maybe I could dream.  I think that is just what I need.  Tonight, if I find myself in turmoil I will try singing that little ditty and maybe I will be able to sleep and perchance to dream.

No comments: