Thursday, October 4, 2018

Somewhere.... I went sailing...

I wanted to go somewhere before I was not able to travel because my dream of chilling with the grandbaby came true.  I thought about just visiting a friend in Chicago or taking a bus tour of new Orleans.  But, neither of those options really seemed attractive.  When I prayed about it and dreamed about it, I knew that I longed to see the ocean, to see wild whales if at all possible.  I turned my attention to an Alaskan cruise.  I had never really been to Alaska before and I had never been on a cruise.

I booked passage on the Norwegian Pearl and went sailing.  But of course to get to the boat, I had to fly.  Seattle was the sailing point.  And I got to the boat via bus and the picture below was the waiting area to get the bus to the boat. 
I went with a purple luggage theme for this trip.  Rolling wheels were the best.
I got to the boat and immediately had a life boat drill and then the boat got underway in short order.
The Puget Sound looks like a great place to sailboat.
This sailboat reminded me of Sleepless In Seattle.  I am not sure why.  But there were a lot of boats in that movie.
I looked and looked for orcas.  They might have been there, but I didn't see them.
As we pulled away from Seattle, I was impressed by the skyline.  The last time I was in Seattle it was 1966 and the Space Needle on the left was the biggest building.
I wondered if any of the mountains in the distance was Mt. Rainier.
I wish the photo were clearer.  The Space Needle, the skyline, a sailboat, and a cruise ship.
Looking out the bow of the ship.
I was fascinated by the ship's wake.
Some of the little towns we passed as we headed out to the ocean.
As we got out into the ocean, the sky cleared a little.

Once we were on the ocean, the swells got bigger.
Those swells don't look that big, but they tossed the ship around quite a bit.
And blue sky over the ocean.

On deck seven I could walk already around the ship.
Big waves or swells on the ocean. I love the colors of the water and the sky and the foam.
It looks like modern art.
The large swells did not help some people enjoy the trip.
Despite all the rocking and rolling, I did not feel at all seasick.  That was not true of everyone on the ship.
And the sun went down on the first night of the trip to Alaska.


No comments: