Thursday, May 28, 2020

Yeasty Beasties

I learned to bake with yeast sometime through the years.  I didn't do it a lot.  Rolls at Thanksgiving and pizza crusts were the main yeast uses that found most appealing.  Baking with yeast requires time and care.  As a busy career woman, I found those things in short supply.  Also, I have struggles with weight and most yeast breads are delicious and not low calorie.

As a retired woman I have more time.  Isolating, I have a lot more time home alone.  I need to do different things, creative things.  Cleaning and sorting which I need to do a lot of, just don't float my boat, so to speak.  Being alone is sometimes or even often, depressing and I find that trying creative new fun things helps me to get out of the funk.

When I found some yeast at the grocery store, I got it, along with flour.  I once did a sour dough starter and I felt like it was a demanding pet.  I am not anxious to get back on the starter wheel.  I want to bake when I want to and leave it alone when I don't.

For Easter I baked some cinnamon rolls.  They were yummy.  They were very very rich.  Stuffed with calories, so I shared them with a family with a new baby.  Cinnamon rolls are easy in my book.  I would like to try some bread. French loaves or cinnamon loaves and then branch out from there.

I want to knead and prove and shape the bread.  I don't want a bread machine because I want to do it, the baking of the bread.  There is something creative, organic and fun about doing it myself.  I have talked myself into it.  Today I rise (or I hope the bread does)!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Hi Mary, my son and I started baking homemade soft pretzels when this pandemic got underway back in March. It's not too tricky, and is very satisfying (and delicious!).

Here's the recipe we use:

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/easy-homemade-soft-pretzels/

Stay healthy!!
Jen