Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Laughing Baby

I have a smiley grandbaby.  He laughs at silly and even ordinary things.  He is a bit of a flirt and has learned how to get attention when we are out somewhere by smiling at the ladies.  He turns on the charm with his big blue eyes and infectious grin.  Overall, I would say that his smiles and laughs are a reflection of his personality.

I was initially thinking that his happy demeanor was a reflection of his happy carefree life.  But, although many many children throughout the world and even down the street have much rougher situations than my grandson, he is not without his challenges.

He started his first few days in the NICU and had surgery before he was a year old.  He has some other physical challenges as well.  He is a helmet headed baby for one thing.  It looks as though it worked and once he takes the helmet off, that will be behind him.  But, his parent leave him with me, grandma for 40 to 50 hours a week and that is a challenge for a baby.  He has had some struggles.

Loved, though, he is loved.  All the saved up love from the baby I lost and the babies I longed for is poured into this grandson.  I am thankful and grateful for him every single day.  He is an answer to prayer. His parents love him too.  They love him a lot, but they would have to tell their own story on that. 

I think my grandson's smiles are a result of a happy and content personality.  I am not sure how one acquires such a thing.  Is it DNA or experiences?  I don't know.  Perhaps it is both.  But, my grandbaby is a charmer and happy.  I pray that he can keep this optimism and sunny outlook through the storms and trials of life.  Because in this world there will be troubles.

No comments: