Sunday, November 15, 2009

Applesauce Coffeecake for Dawn

Because Dawn asked--
Applesauce Coffeecake
1 1/2 c whole wheat or unbleached flour (regular flour wouldn't kill you and would turn out the same)
1/3 c sugar or honey
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg (skip if you don't have it)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 c oil or melted butter
1/2 c water
3/4 c applesauce
either--1/2 c chopped nuts and 1/2 c raisins or a chopped apple (I usually peel it first.)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and get out an 8 inch square pan.  Here is the lovely part--mix dry ingredients in the pan.  Then add the wet ingredients to the pan, except the chopped apple or the raisin/ nuts.  Use a fork and mix thoroughly, scraping the sides of the pan several times to be sure that it is all mixed up. Stir in the raisin  and nuts or the chopped apple.  If you are fancy you can top it with a sugar cinnamon mixture before you bake it, but I usually don't bother.  Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool it and enjoy. This is one of the recipes from the Mary's easy collection. (If you are really fancy you could put whipped cream or ice cream on top, but then it is dessert and not coffeecake.) 

This makes a dark moist cake that seems rich, but it isn't really too bad when you consider the small amount of oil and no eggs.

But repeat after me, this is not becoming a cooking blog, reading recipes is boring. (To me)

3 comments:

Dawn said...

I thought there was begging, not asking, involved?? Thank you for posting.

I LOVE reading recipes and if the day comes that Gabriel doesn't have to be on his special diet then I will be pick up that old favorite hobby of mine with VIGOR! The library is the awesomest place ever for reading cookbooks. There's really only ever a handful I and my family'd like anyway. No sense in spending money on those hardcover cookbooks for just a handful.

abroadermark said...

Oooh...if I made this tonight we could have it for breakfast in the morning. But that would mean I'd have to get off the computer. Hmmm...maybe Applesauce Coffee Cake doesn't sound that good after-all. ; )

Thanks for sharing, Your Recipe Highness!

Tami said...

I think this is just the treat we need in the Nomad Pad for breakfast tomorrow. ABM, you are a homeschooler. Have the kiddos do this as part of school tomorrow. It's a win-win situation.