Tuesday, April 20, 2021

I Became a Big Sister

 Some 65 years ago I became a big sister.  Before that I was an only child and I think I probably preferred that, but the brother came along with or without my consent. Being a big sister was never a role I cherished. I can't really remember playing with my brother.  I remember him breaking my toys. I bet he remembers me being bossy.  Because I was.

I hope that parents today do a better job of orienting siblings toward each other. I don't remember being encouraged to play with my siblings.  Or even to get to know them.  That was growing up in the Baby Boomer years.  A lot of kids and not much psychology.

But, years after my childhood I have come to appreciate this brother born 65 years ago.  He has his problems, but he is my little brother.  We shared a childhood and memories.  We have a perspective or point of reference that is not the same, but understands the other.

This brother and I differ in so many ways.  But, I can't imagine life without him.  Happy Birthday, Little Bro. I hope that you have a great one.

No comments: