Saturday, February 27, 2021

Boring Post for Saturday--Grandma's Phrases

 I spend a lot of time with my grandchildren.  My grandson has picked up a lot of sayings and habits from me.  When I hear him groan like an old person, I know that is copying me.  But, there are things I say that I am not even aware of until they are reflected back to me.  I say things to my granddaughter in my grandson's presence that perhaps don't make a lot of sense.  But, I find in a one way conversation with a ten month old that I fill in the gaps in our conversation with trite phrases and repeated words.

I say things like "Goodness, goodness, goodness gracious." Or "bong" when they fall.  One of the phrases that I say to the baby when she is crying at me is "What's the story morning glory?"  And my grandson listens to all of this.  He tries to incorporate it into his understanding.

So, one morning last week when my son went to get my grandson up he found him sitting on a little chair in his room.  When Daddy came in, Grandson said, "What's the story morning glory?"

No comments: