Saturday, April 14, 2018

Around Galilee, Sermon on the Mount

Sorry, sorry, sorry....there was eye surgery healing nicely) and Easter and some stuff with my mom....but I think I am back.  I will aim to finish up the Holyland one of these days.

Nobody walked on water the day we crossed the lake.  And I reference that, because the Gospel reading at Mass today as I write this included an account of Jesus walking on water.  The boat we road on flew an American flag for us.  During the time we were there, Israel was very happy with Americans because our President had announced that we were moving our embassy to Jerusalem.


We disembarked at the museum with the ancient boat that was uncovered from the time of Jesus.  Unfortunately, it was closed because we were too early.  The shop was open though.
I am not sure what this statue means, but it was outside the museum and shop.
Looking back at the museum.
And looking again.  It was exotic to see the palm tree there since I come from the snowy middle of America where palm trees don't grow.
After crossing the Sea of Galilee, we went up the the Mount of the Beatitudes.  There is a beautiful church and garden up there.  And John Paul II visited this place when he came to the Holyland.
Looking toward the Sea of Galilee from the Mount.
I think I didn't get the most important information on this photo. It was a plaque in the church.
This is the church.  It was on the smallish side.
Around the garden were quotes from scripture.
I took pictures of flowers.  It was January 19th.
Lovely white roses.  Maybe it is too hot for them in the summer?  I wonder.
And I have no idea what this flower is.  But, pretty in pink.
Still, the Sea drew my attention.  It is a lake, just a large lake, but in ancient times there wasn't a word to distinguish between a lake and a sea.
And still looking at Galilee.
This was the field where Jesus is said to have fed the 5,000.  It was sprinkling as you can see on the bus windows. 

This was one long day and I have decided to break it into parts so that the post doesn't get too long. 

No comments: