Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Theophany of the Hawks



I had a theophany as I did dishes this evening. I saw a hawk flying around the church. A theophany is a manifestation of God to man. A sign of God's presence. For me the hawks are a theophany, a sign from God.

Last year at this time we had hawks nesting in the tree above the rectory. They seem to have gone elsewhere this year, because they would have nested already. Perhaps Father was raising the rent or something may have happened to one of the pair. I named them Ruby and Red-Tailed Hawk. They were a cute couple, but they may have found a better tree. If something happened to one of them, the survivor would remain alone. They would not nest or return to the tree. The chicks Iggy and Francis aren't old enough to nest. It looks like I will have to steal my hawk sightings this year instead of looking out the kitchen window and just watching the hawks.

Whenever I see hawks these days I raise my eyes toward the sky. In doing that, I lift up a prayer to God. A prayer of thanksgiving, joy and love. I honor my king and my God. I am thankful for hawks who call me to prayer. Hawks for me are a theophany.

No comments: