Friday, August 14, 2020

Proud Momma

 My son doesn't really esteem my abilities.  He thinks that anything I can do, he can do better.  This is especially true in cooking.  I grew up and was married to a man who preferred meat and potatoes cooking.  It wasn't necessarily the only thing I could do, but I learned to fix what he would eat. And I always tried to throw in extra nutrition so I baked with whole wheat and added wheat germ, stuff like that.

These days my son is the cook for his family.  He does a pretty good job.  I claim that he learned some of that from me, but not to his face.  Still when he grew an extra lot of hot peppers this year, he decided to can them because his mom had done canning when he was a kid so it couldn't be that hard.  

He canned on Saturday.  He made his pots of pickled peppers as he said.  When he showed the cans to me he said wonderingly, "it wasn't that easy to can this many peppers." I thought, "yes, son, it isn't easy to can, just because Mom can do it, doesn't mean it was easy."  But, I also felt proud that my son canned 6 jars of peppers.

No comments: