Friday, June 12, 2020

Creativity

Except for television and home movies, it seems to me that there aren't a lot of entertainment options today.  Perhaps this is a good thing because it requires creativity to stay busy and happy.  All of us have creativity.  Some have more creativity than others, but I believe that all people are capable of being creative.

I quilt, which is a big creative outlet for me.  But, if I quilt day and night, it becomes like work.  I try to keep several quilting projects going at once because that keeps me interested.  Having something different to work on keeps me going.  I have several quilting projects going right now.  I have 2 twin bed quilts that I plan ultimately to give to my grandchildren someday that are in progress.  They were quick to do quilts, made with jellyrolls.  I also have a lovely modern pink, gray and polka dot quilt that I am making for my spare bedroom.  I love the colors on this quilt.  It is for a twin bed as well.  Then I have a whale tale quilted wall hanging from Alaska and a beautiful full Alaska quilt.  These are purchased, but not started yet.  Then I have fabric for some other ideas in my mind.  I itch to start these dreaming projects.

But, quilting gets boring when I do it too long.  So, I have some other projects going.  I have a garden.  It is endlessly frustrating and endlessly joyful to try to coax flowers and vegetables from the ground.  So far I am really good with herbs.  I have given up on the expensive lilies that I ordered by mail.  The rabbits have eaten every single bit of them.  They have started on my new raspberry bush, so this is war.

Writing is another creative outlet for me.  This blog isn't totally making me happy.  I have posted a lot of sloppily, hastily written posts lately.  I have ideas in my mind to make this blog easier for me and better, but time and energy to get it together has been lacking lately.  I also keep a journal and a lectio divina book and I have a book project in mind, so writing could take a lot more time.

I like to add new fun projects to vary things up.  I have some paints and canvases.  I paint what I call garage art.  I hang the pictures in the garage so that I smile when I come home.  I have some plastic clay tile materials.  I took a class and it was fun.  Maybe someday I will use the plastic and bake up some art.

I have made some yeast breads and cookies during the pandemic isolation.  Cooking is a creative activity that yields delicious results and since the results are eaten, I don't have to store and clean around anything.

I could keep reporting creative projects, but I suppose for me, the point is to remind myself to keep creating.  I need to do it to keep my mind sharp and happy.  For me, not creating leads to depression.  So, I will keep up the projects.  For me the key is to always have something to fall back on when I am tired and also have something new and different for times when I am well rested and alert.  I am a fan of letting my creative side out. 

No comments: