Monday, January 23, 2017

Priorities

For a grown up in the world today, it seems like there are endless things to do.  Or maybe it is just me.  My house is, was, and always has been a mess.  I have spent a lot of time playing seek for hidden things that moved with me and did not properly get put away.  It is frustrating.  Then there are bills to pay for my mom, for the old house, for my new life.  Then there are all the work things, overdues, issuing technology, ordering repairs for technology, processing new materials, cleaning out the mess so that I can stroll out of this place at the end of the year without a lot of guilt. And my new car needs a good wash.  And I could go on and on.

Additionally, if I attend to all of these "must-do" things I have very little time and energy for the creative, enjoyable things that make me feel whole. Working on quilts and sewing projects has largely disappeared from my schedule.  And I steal time for prayer and pray while I go about all the busy-ness.  And God walks with me.  I hear His voice and feel His love.

But, I need to figure out a better way to live, a better life.  I need to prioritize so that I do the must-do things, but also find time for the fun things, and maintain or improve my living situation.  I am considering better list making, possibly hiring someone to help me get organized, dedicating some time to fully clear out at least one area of my life at a time.  I have been chipping away a little here a little there and I never get that sense of accomplishment, of completeness.

Before I get started on this life overhaul, I will spend some time in prayer and meditation.  I know that I need to ask the Holy Spirit for guidance. It all comes down to priorities.  How important is it?  What things can be done today and what can be put off until tomorrow and what things can go entirely off the radar.  Priorities.

No comments: