Wednesday, November 9, 2016

The Present Is a Gift

I have now passed the age that saw the end of my dad's life.  I remember how I thought he was old when he died.  Perspective changes things.  Seems like he was young when he died to me now.  I wish I could have one more day, one more hour, one more hug from him.  I would have liked to have known him better.  He has been gone for years and years, but perhaps with my gathering age, I have been thinking about him lately.

While it is hard for me to put two and two together and directly relate these two things, the thoughts about my dad have led me to a changed philosophy of life.  Each and every day is the best day of my life, one day at a time.  If you knew today was the best day of your life what would it be like?  How would you feel?  What would you do?  How would you treat the people around you?  What do you say to people on the best day of your life?  What makes today any less the best day of your life than any other day?

So, I am trying to keep that thought--this day is the best day of my life.  Today is the present, a gift, the very best day I have.  There may be no others.  But it is easier to find contentment, serenity, joy and peace when in my mind this the best day, maybe the last day of my life.  I am making today the best day possible, I may be dealing with problems or walking through muck, but I will, I am, enjoying it, finding the humor instead of the complaints. It isn't always easy to keep this philosophy in play, but it is always rewarding.

No comments: