Thursday, November 10, 2016

Take This Job.....

I have always loved books and reading.  I am a fully certified reading teacher and librarian.  I know a lot about reading.  I like being a librarian better than I like being a reading teacher because most of the kids in my remedial reading classes did not like to read and most of the kids who come to the library do.

I have loved my job for the past 10 years in the library.  I love ordering and processing new books, I love fixing books, I love the book club, I love reading. I am getting the hang of ebooks.  But since last year my job has an additional flavor.  I "do" Chromebooks.

Because I am one of the oldest librarians around here, I have made it a matter of pride to keep up and do as much with the Chromebooks as possible.  I am considered the go to gal about librarian's handling Chromebooks. I can powerwash, update, assess problems with the best of them.

I had an epiphany the other day.  I am good at taking care of Chromebooks, ordering repairs, contacting parents, and the like.  I can do my job.  But, I realized, I don't really like this job.  It is stressful and boring at the same time.  When a kid cracks the screen by (self-admitting) he threw the Chromebook across the room and his parent is calling demanding the thing to be fixed, it is stressful.  I am able to do all of this and do it well, but I don't like it.  It isn't what I want to do with my life.  It isn't my passion.  So, I am working on getting out of here.....one of these days soon.

I would love to teach refugees to read or speak English.  I don't need to make much money. I need to do good.  I need to spend my time on love not on technology problems. I am ready for a change. I am beginning to hear another call.

No comments: