Friday, September 23, 2016

Patatas, Potatoes, Potattos

Any way I say it, a potato is still a potato.  It doesn't even matter how I spell it.  Still a lowly earth vegetable, is a potato. Lots of things are that way.  It is what it is what it is.  Renaming it doesn't change it one iota. So, though the potato doesn't change, I can.

I have been revisiting my life, the choices I make, the mistakes, the way I react, the things I believe.  I can and must change.  But, for me at least, change isn't easy.  I have many outstanding qualities but, among the characteristics that have caused me grief are that I am a pleaser.  I want people to like me.  I have poorly maintained boundaries, I let myself be stomped all over.  I see this at work and other places.

Being a pleaser isn't bad, not being assertive or a whiner is not bad.  It is not bad to be unselfish.  These character defects can also be strengths.  Nothing wrong with a potato no matter how you spell it or pronounce it, but it does need a little cleaning up and preparation to become a thing of beauty and a joy forever.

So, I am working on scrubbing up my defects and figuring out how to turn them around and to become the person I want to be.  What kind of potato do I like?

No comments: