Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Confession About Confession

I love the sacrament of Reconciliation.  I hate the sacrament of Reconciliation. I experience mixed feelings about Reconciliation.  Until I am walking out of the Confessional, and then I always love the sacrament of Reconciliation.

Recently I have been trying to schedule Reconciliation.  This brings up the thing I hate the most about the sacrament.  It just isn't offered as much as it should be.  We live in a world full of sinners, large and small, and yet most parishes have 45 minutes a week delegated for Reconciliation without an appointment.  There is the invitation to call and schedule reconciliation, but I have found that isn't easy peasy lemon squeezy.

My spiritual director has suggested and I agree that I probably shouldn't just show up at some Confessional near you and confess all of this mess my life is at the moment.  One, it would maybe take too long and two, the priest might tell me that I was a sinner and had to go back and work harder at my problems.  I was told that before and I did and I did and I did, and it didn't seem to work out at all.  A different priest told me I had worked long enough. But there are sometimes inconsistencies there in the Confessional.  For this sort of situation I need a listening ear who doesn't already have the judgment rendered before I speak.

So, I am a poor sinner.  I seek forgiveness, and counsel in my life.  I seek reconciliation.  I seek peace.

And the priest I talked to and Christ whom he spoke for, said that I don't have to confess the divorce again, if I had to confess it at all, I am done.  Now I am just an ordinary sinner. (And after hearing my story he volunteered to help me with the annulment once the divorce is finished.)  Yay, God.  Yay for Confession or the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Yay.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

The Sacrament of Confession - I do believe it is my favorite Sacrament (in a best of the best kind of way ;).) I'm so grateful you had a good, wise priest to bring you healing - and to walk the annulment process with you.

Mary said...

I love the Church. I love the Lord more. I am grateful for the help and love I have received.