Friday, February 12, 2016

Be Careful What You Wish For...

I was talking to some friends about answers to prayers and about praying for specific outcomes the other day.  It sometimes feels inadequate to just pray--Thy Will Be Done, Lord.  Of course, it is.  Of course God's Will is the best and most loving way, but sometimes I have an emotional stake in the game.

I have a long time friend who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer.  She never married, was an only child and had few relatives, most she had only met a couple of times in her life.  Of course, she has friends, but she is shy so not a wide circle of friends, and she retired a couple of years ago. We live far away from each other. I pray for her and it is easy to say--Thy Will be done, but then because I am me, I need to add reminders to God about making things easier for my friend.

But, in more personal matters, when I find myself crying out for God's mercy, for God's help and it feels as though the jagged rocks keep bouncing off God's help and love, I am learning to ask myself if I am on the right path, am I going the right way?  Maybe I need to retrace my steps and listen for God's voice.  Because He is always there.  He did not abandon me.  He did not leave me orphaned.  God's love should be like water soaking into a sponge, so easy, so right. At least that is what I am trying to learn.

No comments: