Monday, December 21, 2015

Advent Police

I told my spiritual director the other day that the Advent police were going to come and arrest me and we had a good laugh about that.  I have been listening to Christmas music on CDs in my car during the whole of Advent this year.  While I love myself some good O Come, O Come, Emmanuel, I really do, this year I needed to hear White Christmas and Away in the Manger in advance of the feast day.

It is a permission thing with me.  Allowing God to tell me what I need and not be so much rigid rule follower.  I had a 4 CD set of random Christmas themed music from the 40s and 50s and maybe a little 60s, but nothing modern.  It ranges from Frosty the Snowman to Ave Maria and that is exactly what I need this year.  Exactly.

I am working at getting in touch with myself, the good, the bad, the ugly.  I am celebrating my past and my present and hoping for a future that includes heaven at the end, but maybe also some joy in the living.

I don't think the Advent police are going to get me this year.  I am preparing for the birth of Christ in my heart yet again.  I am acknowledging that He is already here and remains and will come.  It is a mystery and a miracle.  Whether there is a white or green Christmas this year, it is beginning to look a lot like Christmas in my heart.

No comments: