Friday, January 9, 2015

7 Quick Takes,

Kelly Mantoan finally tricked someone into making her a logo.  I bet she has paint brushes left for the rest of the poor contestants. Or maybe she will trick someone into writing her blog posts for her.  I jest.  Go around and visit the rest of the carnival, if you haven't come from there.

1. The first week of the year has been eventful.  I drove up the lazy river to Q last Friday for a chance to visit with my brother who was down collecting the last of this stuff from a storage locker left after his move north.  We lunched at the Texas Roadhouse and I have to say that it was really good.  Brother left early Friday to beat an expected storm.

Mom got news that her 91 year old sister passed away on New Year's Day.  It was too cold and hectic to plan to go the funeral on Monday.  But, the death necessitated the call to cousins and nieces and far flung relatives. I stayed until Saturday morning and then drove home

2. When I got home I heard the news that our remaining little fat cat had largely quit eating.  This was worrisome because if there was one thing that cat was gifted and talented at, it was eating.  A trip to the vet revealed kidney failure.  We had him put to sleep on Wednesday afternoon.  We had that cat over 15 years and it seemed unreal that he would be gone.  So, now we are cat-less for the first time in about 30 years.


3. Tuesday I went to an Epiphany Party at the prayer group.  There was way too much food.  It was nice to see the prayer group people again.  I missed the other group I now go to on Tuesdays though.

4. It is cold, colder, and  most cold in St. Louis, as in the rest of the country.

5. I am thinking of trying to get back to work early from my medical leave for the hysterectomy.  Monday, ready or not, here I come.

6. I finished the book on the life of Julia Child.  I didn't know that she had been a big supporter of Planned Parenthood.  She was also not really a practicing Christian, if in fact, she was ever Baptized.  But, I was interested to know about her.  I don't really like French cooking and I never watched any of her shows.  I remember her mainly from Good Morning, America.  I learned how to make Soup du Jour from her.  Open the fridge and put anything you want to in it.  So, I don't recommend reading about Julia Child unless you are curious and want to have someone else to pray for.  I did find her long faithful marriage to a difficult man to be inspiring.

7. And this weekend is the end of Christmas.  Time to take down that tree.  I am glad that ours has been down since New Year's Day, but if yours is still up, get hopping.

No comments: