Monday, December 15, 2014

Unearned Gift

How do I thank God for mercy and grace that I don't deserve?  How do I thank Him for saving me?  How do I thank Him for dying on a cross and rising to end death so that death is not something I need spend my life in fear of?  All I can do is offer my faint praise, my pitiful thanks, and my joyous, selfish cries of thanksgiving.

I could say lots of people are praying for me, or my life is harder than some and I don't get support in ways that I need, I could say God selected me and ignored others, and I would be wrong.  I wasn't there when my name was inscribed in the Book of Life and I don't know God's plans.  All I can do is rejoice that perhaps I have been given more time to clean up my act and finish the work set before me.

The doctor performed a hysterectomy on December 9th and removed all traces of abnormal cells.  As he put it, there will be no follow up treatment, no need to follow you after we meet on December 31st.  Everything is clean.

I don't understand, I don't deserve, I am not worthy, but I accept the gift with grateful thanksgiving.  In this instance in my life, He took my breath away.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Mary,

So happy to hear the surgery was successful. God is good...always and in all ways!

I will continue to pray for you as you recover. May you and your family have a blessed Christmas this year!

Jen

Julie Southern (Studio Sherwood) said...

Praise God!

Mary said...

Praise God in all circumstances, but rejoice and praise God for the unearned gift.