Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Recap of the Year 2014

I began this year with a lot of pain in my ankle.  The Achilles tendon and the heel of my foot were agony with every step.  The foot doctor sent me to physical therapy which helped tremendously.  The stretches I learned changed everything.  I never got well enough to do all the things the therapist wanted me to do, but I got a lot better.  The pain in my foot and later my knee was the focus of the beginning of the year.

We had a lot of snow here in the middle of the country last winter.  I think that my school district took 8 or 10 snow days, I don't even remember.  For the first time ever, we didn't have to make up every one of them.  But school, which started at the beginning of August went into the beginning of June.

I had hoped to mark my 60th year with a trip to the Holy Land last summer, but it just didn't happen.  Instead, hubby and I went to Kansas City where I researched family history and we saw Sir Paul in concert.  There are one or two things that we didn't do while in Kansas City, so maybe we will go back someday.

In the summer there were some conflicts within my family which made me decide to step back from the blog for a while lest I throw gasoline on the fire that was already smoldering.  The conflicts are not resolved, but time takes care of a few things and I hope love will take care of the rest.  Instead of blogging I researched family history for a book that I am writing with my sister.  This is an exciting project for us, even if it never gets published.

My 93 year old mother had carpal tunnel surgery in September.  My brother moved to northern Illinois and his nine year old daughter suffered a ruptured appendix and other complications from that have still not completely resolved themselves.  Then, I, 60 years old and post menopausal for a decade, began spotting which led me to health problems that seemed to be going from bad to worse. I spent the night after my birthday in the hospital having surgery which resulted in a scary report.  I was sent to and consulted with an oncologist who did my robotic surgery in December.  I am on the mend from that at present. And clear of all the bad stuff that I had feared.

Even though there are a lot of mentions of ill-health in this summary, I would say that it is a year of healing.  I feel as though I have gained valuable insights into living with my weak Achilles tendon and I am not afraid of it "going out on me" anymore.  I know how to stretch that thing back into shape.  The bigger issue was all the pain and panic I had carried around since 1988 about the ectopic pregnancy and all the stuff surrounding that.  I knew that I still had hurts from that, but I did not recognize how deep the pain was until I had to face it all with the current problems.  It was really clear that this was part of God's plan to heal me of things because I had to recount the ectopic pregnancy for the cancer doctor so that he knew what he was looking for when he went in.  I had to face it head on. I have experienced a great deal of healing over the various issues that I had carried around for over 25 years.

I am expecting 2015 to be a year of health.  I want to lose weight.  I want to travel.  I want to do some research on the family history book.  I want to grow in love, wisdom and understanding.  I expect that 2015 will be a fabulous year.

No comments: