Wednesday, December 17, 2014

O Wisdom

O Wisdom, coming forth from the mouth of the Most High, reaching from one end to the other, mightily and sweetly ordering all things: come and teach us the way of prudence.

Today, the 17th of December is the first of the O Antiphons sung at evening prayer and as the Gospel acclamation.  I love the O Antiphons, perhaps because O Come, O Come, Emmanuel has always been my favorite Christmas season song, Advent song really.  I listen to these antiphons and try to take in what they mean in my life.

When I was very young, I cared a great deal more for knowledge than for wisdom.  I thought that if I had knowledge, wisdom would follow.  That philosophy has not made me very wise.  I try to turn to God and not to the world, but my first thought in seeking wisdom is not that it comes through learning prudence.  It comes through right judgment, through seeking truth and not the distorted lies told by the world.

Teach me prudence.  Help me to gain wisdom.

No comments: